ICMA’s annual Life, Well Run Student Photo Contest calls on next gen leaders to show and tell their stories of local government management professionals in action!
If you’re a student enrolled in or recently graduated from a program focused on an area of public service—such as public policy, public affairs, or public administration—you already know that professional local government management is kind of a big deal. That’s why ICMA’s Life, Well Run initiative is bringing back our local government photo contest and inviting you to “Show & Tell Us Your Story.”
This year, we’re focusing on the outstanding work that appointed professional city, town, and county managers do to enhance the quality of life in the communities where we work, live, and play.
To enter, submit a portfolio of at least three (3) and not more than a half-dozen (6) photographs that capture your city, town, or county manager or administrator at work. Each photo should demonstrate how professional local government impacts your community in a positive way. Entries must be submitted by Monday, July 30, 2018.
Three winners of the Life, Well Run 2018 Student Photo contest will be chosen in August, and each winner will receive FREE registration (available to all ICMA Student members) and travel reimbursement to ICMA’s 104th Annual Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, September 23-26, 2018! You’ll also receive a small stipend to help make your trip even better. The winning photographs will be displayed at the conference and will be viewed by local government CAOs and employees, private-sector attendees, and other ICMA Annual Conference attendees from around the world!
1st Place: Reimbursement of travel expenses to ICMA Annual Conference up to $1,000 + free conference registration and a $500 stipend*
2nd Place: Reimbursement of travel expenses to ICMA Annual Conference up to $750 + free conference registration and a $250 stipend*
3rd Place: Reimbursement of travel expenses to ICMA Annual Conference up to $500 + free conference registration and a $150 stipend*
*You must attend the annual conference to receive your stipend.
Who Can Enter
This awesome opportunity is open to any undergraduate or graduate-level student who is currently enrolled in or recently graduated from (within the past six months) an accredited college or university program. Preference will be given to individuals who are pursuing or have earned a degree focused on an area of public service, such as public policy, public affairs, or public administration. Contest is limited to one entry per person and all photographs must have been taken by the student.
What We’re Looking For
Show us what inspires you about professional local government management. You must submit a portfolio of at least three (3) and no more than six (6) photographs.** Photos should depict one or more of the following:
- A professional local government manager or administrator in action (please, no “desk” photos). Note: At least one photo in your portfolio must be of the manager/administrator in action.
- A new community or infrastructure development project or facility that the manager/administrator oversaw/directed and that has enhanced the quality of life within your community.
- A professional local government manager/administrator as s/he interacts with local government staff, elected officials, or residents.
Submissions should also include:
Each photo must include
- Name of student photographer
- Name of college/ university and degree program
- Date of graduation (actual or expected), and
- Local government represented and professional local government manager.
Each photo submitted must include a narrative (max. 250 words) describing the following elements:
- Where and when the photo was taken
- Who is depicted in the photo
- What is depicted in the photo
- How the program, project, operation depicted demonstrates the positive impact of professional local government management.
**All photographs become property of ICMA.
Contest deadline: Monday, July 30, 2018
Winners will be announced by Friday, August 10, 2018